Welcome to Crooklyn’s Corner, the podcast that’s basically a hodgepodge of topics focused on the combat sports and entertainment community. The show will feature special interviews, fantasy matchmaking/analysis and whatever else we can come up with to keep our listeners steeped in fresh and engaging content. The show is hosted by Stephie Haynes and airs when needed to fill gaps in our Bloody Elbow Presents podcast network.
Here is a summary of the topics discussed or questions asked. Time stamps won’t always be available as our conversations tend to be very fluid and bounce back & forth frequently. However, when fantasy matchmaking and analysis is the focal point of an episode, we will definitely timestamp when each fight breakdown begins. As always, I hope you enjoy listening to the show as much as I enjoyed recording it.
- Name some MMA fighters that are on their way to or already have generational wealth. Bonus if you leave Conor McGregor out of the conversation.
- Moving forward, now that the ESPN deal has netted both the UFC and ESPN such lucrative results, is there a possibility we see another megastar rise like McGregor, or is the UFC stomping out the need for such PPV magnets?
- Francis Ngannou’s situation is a tricky one. Discuss the finer details of contract extensions for champions and why Ngannou not signing a new deal might not matter in the long run because he’s still the champion. Can he give up the belt to get out from under?
- Georges St. Pierre hasn’t fought since 2017, but the UFC has managed to put the brakes to a proposed charity boxing match he wanted to do. How long do they have control over him in that regard? Is there a statute of limitations on his contract?
- We’ve discussed unions and/or associations many times and have come to the unfortunate conclusion that fighters are selfish creatures by necessity because of the UFC’s stranglehold on the entire market. Is there some other way outside unionization that could make their position more tenable?
- More and more fighters are airing their extreme financial woes including Francis Ngannou, who stated that he had to borrow money to stay afloat. The UFC blames the media, but to my knowledge, the media isn’t telling these fighters to get on the mic and say these things in interviews. Will any of these horrible stories of near destitute scenarios be enough to draw attention from govt. institutions to make a more fair and just environment?
- You mentioned that Joe Silva used to basically hold fighters hostage to their contracts by offering fights while they were under commission suspension. Please explain that and if that’s even legal. And by commission suspension, would that apply to USADA suspensions or strictly the AC suspensions?
- What are your thoughts on this new World Fight League that a network of former promoters, former NFL, NBA and MMA athletes are putting together? Does this have IFL written all over it? Do you see any red flags already?
- If somehow we get to see the Ali Act instituted in MMA, give us an idea of what that would look like. What would change?
- Are there any updates on the antitrust suit? Has any new documentation been revealed?
- Dana White said that Fury-Wilder 3 was what boxing needed, as though the sport is somehow in the toilet. What is the health of boxing like right now? Is there trouble on the horizon, or is Dana just spinning his wheels to make the UFC look better?
You can check out the entire show here. Remember, if you’re looking for us on SoundCloud or iTunes, we’re under the Bloody Elbow Presents name. Follow Crooklyn’s Twitter account: Stephie Haynes and the show account Crooklyn’s Corner.
If you enjoy our show, give us a shout out in the comments here on Bloody Elbow, or give us a “like”, share & subscribe over on whichever BE Presents Podcast Channel happens to be your listening platform of choice: SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes & Apple TV, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Spotify, TuneIn, OverCast, or Player FM, & Amazon Music – While you’re there, don’t forget to subscribe to Bloody Elbow Presents; that way you’ll always be the first to get all of BE’s daily MMA offerings. For previous episodes of the show, check out our playlists on all of our BE Presents channels.