Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 15 min.
24 servings (6 cups)
Loaded Cowboy Queso is the ultimate football dip! This easy appetizer loaded with cheese, beer, black beans, tomatoes and sausage is our family’s favorite tailgating recipe. I often serve it with homemade tortilla chips sprinkled with taco seasoning. —Becky Hardin, St. Peters, Missouri
Loaded Cowboy Queso Recipe photo by Taste of Home
- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 cup Pale Ale or other light beer
- 1 package (16 ounces) Velveeta, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, undrained
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional: jalapenos and tortilla or corn chips
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes, crumbling meat. Add beer, cook until reduced slightly, 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Velveeta, pepper jack cheese and seasonings; stir occasionally until melted. When melted, stir in tomatoes, beans, and cilantro.
- If desired, garnish with jalapenos and additional cilantro and serve with tortilla or corn chips.
1/4 cup: 110 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 461mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.